Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Eric Carle Illustration



Description:
This piece of artwork was inspired by my favorite Eric Carle book, Papa, Please Get the Moon.  This project began by adding wallpaper paste to paint.  Before the paint was applied to the paper, water was applied.  Tools, such as sponges, fingers, and the ends of paintbrushes were used to create variations in texture.  Many pages were made in this style.  For my project, I made a black painting to act as the background to my Eric Carle Illustration.  I then cut out moon out of a gray sheet and the stars were made out of a yellow sheet.  I also made the house out of a sheet that was made with blue and red, the windows were made out of a pink sheet, and the doors and chimney were made out of a purple sheet.  The title of the story is placed in the lower left hand corner.

This project was one of my favorites.  It reminded me of my childhood experiences and the enjoyment I used to get having Eric Carle books read to me.  It was fun to pretend to be a famous author and illustrator for a day.

Extension Activity:
In my classroom, I would let my students explore with what they could create.  They could make a prairie scene, ocean scene, etc.  With this activity, they will be able to explore different textures techniques, colors as well as the layering of different sheets and shapes as you see in my Eric Carle Illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment