Friday, November 26, 2010

Hidden Safari Pictures



Description:
This fun project is focused on the idea of warm and cool colors.  The hidden safari project began by making the very "warm"  red cellophane glasses you see above.  After we made the glasses we looked at various safari animals and chose which ones we would like to draw in a "Hidden Safari" picture.  I chose to draw a giraffe amongst two trees.  I began by drawing the picture upside down because drawing upside down makes the artist more in tune to the lines and the direction they are drawn.  I drew my picture using the cool sky blue color.  Once I completed the initial drawing, I covered the sky blue picture with the warm colors red, orange and yellow.  I covered the picture with spirals because to me, spirals are fun.  If I could do it over, I would have done something more along the lines of squares and lines rather than spirals because while I was drawing the spirals, I noticed it was not covering up my hidden picture very well.  The squares and lines would have probably made the finished project look more clean rather than sloppy.

Extension Activity:
I would use this in an 5th-8th grade math lesson.  The students would create math equations and the answers would be hidden in the background.  
It would also be a good use in English or Language arts class.  Students can write secret messages.  This type of activity can also be extended into an art lesson revolving around Leonardo Da Vinci.  He is said to be a very secretive artist and encrypted messages and symbols into his art work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment