Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Rainbow Fish: Watercolor Painting 2nd Grade ~ Ms. Vilhauer and Ms. Sandmeier

Description:
This lesson addresses the media of watercolors.  We first discovered different watercolor techniques.  After we learned different application techniques we talked about the difference between warm and cool colors.  To begin our rainbow fish paintings we painted the backgrounds.  For my background (water) I used the wet-in-wet application.  I first wet down the sheet of paper with water and splashed on a light and dark blue as well as a green (cool colors) and then used my brush to smear them all together.  Once my background was painted, I set it aside to dry.  At this time, I then went to work on my fish.  I first used my crayon to create scales and I even made silver fins.  This application was the resist technique.  I finished by applying the warm colors of red, orange and yellow.  Once everything was dried, I glued my fish to the background.

Extension Technique:
Watercolor would be a good extension activity for a Laura Ingalls Wilder unit.  Students will read from selected books and draw settings or scenes from the book.  Students will use the author's descriptions of the land and create watercolor paintings.  These paintings will then be displayed in the classroom or hallway for fellow students to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment